Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Sad, upset and angry...

These are a few emotions that hit me yesterday after Grady's 6 week checkup with his Pediatric Urologist. We found out that his hypospadia surgery was not a complete success and that he'll need another surgery to fix a fistula that has recently appeared. :(

A fistula is an abnormal, usually ulcerous channel like formation between two internal organs or between an internal organ and the skin. It may follow a surgical procedure with improper healing, or it may be caused by injury, abscess, or infection with penetration deep enough to reach another organ or the skin. When open at only one end it is called an incomplete fistula or sinus. The most common sites of fistula are the rectum and the urinary organs, but almost any part of the body may be affected.

In other words, he did not heal properly and now has 2 urinary streams.

It breaks my heart that my baby has to go through another surgery. But Jason is trying to keep me positive. He keeps reminding me that we are very lucky that this is the only problem Grady's had after being 6 weeks premature. And he is completely right, but that doesn't take the hurt away.

The doctor said we'll need to wait 6 months for his body to completely heal from this surgery before we can do another. So now we're just waiting.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ang...just saw this...I know as a mom it's heartbreaking, but he's gonna pull through this just fine. and so will you. Just look at what a happy little guy he is!!
hugs and prayers!!
~Angela

Anonymous said...

Hey Angela....everything will be fine. Keep your head up, they sense when we are worried, scared, upset. As long as you are happy he will be happy. Be strong, for him and you! You are a strong person and I know you can get through this. I will be thinking about you and keeping you and your family in my prayers!!

Anonymous said...

lol...I forgot to put my name on the last post since I don't have an account. Keep your head up Angie!!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear that, but Jason is totally right! Everything will work out.

Anonymous said...

Ang,
Just think of what Grady has already surpassed and this becomes a minor thing. He is such a strong little man and even though we don't want him to go through this again he will be OK. You know all you have to do is pick up the phone and call and we will be there.
Love you all,
Nana